Math Reads is a math and literature program for Grades K–5. Through Common Core lessons inspired by engaging children’s literature, Math Reads develops students’ mathematical thinking, reasoning, and problem solving skills.
Developed and delivered by Math Solutions, Math Reads professional learning courses and data-coaching services drive teacher practice and provide opportunities to grow as a math educator.
Extend the Best Practices of Math Reads to ALL Your Math Teachers
Math Reads Implementation Professional Learning
- Help teachers get started using Math Reads in their classroom
- Focusing on the appropriate grade-level of books and instructional strategies aligning the books with related lessons.
Math Reads In-Classroom Support
- Provide teachers with optimal coaching support for ongoing classroom management, program monitoring and data-driven instruction.
- Observing and model lessons, offering feedback and demonstrating best practices
- Reviewing teaching strategies
Extend the Best Practices of SMI College & Career to ALL Your Math Teachers
Math Solutions Professional Learning Courses: Prepare for the new, high-stakes assessments by improving teachers’ content knowledge and developing effective teaching strategies. Expand on your Do the Math and Do the Math Now professional learning with services including, but not limited to:
Math Solutions Coaching:
Research shows that teacher effectiveness is maximized with ongoing, high-quality professional learning from an instructional coach. Enhance the knowledge and experience of your math leadership team and teachers by developing a strategic coaching plan customized to meet the needs of your district.
- Model lessons, including pre- and post-conversations, to illustrate instructional techniques;
- Differentiation strategies that will help educators meet the needs of all students;
- A focus on developing and deepening math content knowledge;
- Analysis of student work samples to assess learning and determine instructional next steps;
- Facilitation of professional learning communities, cadres, and collaborative planning.
Support mathematical understanding in your classroom with resources to supplement your Math Reads Instruction:
Marilyn Burns is one of today’s most highly respected mathematics educators. Over the course of more than 50 years, Marilyn has taught children, led in-service sessions, spoken at conferences, contributed to professional journals, written more than a dozen books for children, and created more than 20 professional development resources for teachers and administrators.
In 1984, Marilyn formed Math Solutions Professional Development, an organization dedicated to the improvement of math instruction in Grades K–8. Working with a highly qualified team of in-service leaders, Marilyn offered specialized courses to teachers and administrators nationwide.
In celebration of the 30th anniversary of the founding of Math Solutions, Marilyn revised her classic K–8 resource, About Teaching Mathematics, for its 4th edition, available at the end of 2014.
In 2007, in collaboration with Scholastic, Marilyn developed Do The Math, an intervention program for Grades 2 and up that focuses on Number and Operations. Do The Math targets addition and subtraction, multiplication, division, and fractions. In 2012, working with a team of Math Solutions colleagues, Marilyn developed Math Reasoning Inventory (MRI), a web-based formative assessment tool suitable for Grades 5 and up, funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation. Also in 2012, Marilyn and Scholastic developed Math Reads, a program that helps teachers use children’s literature for teaching mathematics.
Marilyn continues to teach regularly in the classroom, finding the experience essential to developing and testing new ideas and materials.